Modular representation theory and relations to algebraic geometry, triangulated categories and homological algebra.
Department of Mathematics,
815 N Broadway,
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
|Office:||Harder, room 223|
|Email:||sbaland at skidmore dot edu|
- MATH 111: Calculus I, section 4.
- MATH 202: Calculus III, section 2.
- MATH 270: Differential equations, section 1.
- MATH 113: Calculus II, sections 2 and 3.
- MATH 215: Math reasoning/discrete structures, section 2.
- MATH 200: Linear algebra, section 1.
- MATH 202: Calculus III, section 1.
Publications and preprints
- With Greg Stevenson, Comparisons between singularity categories and relative stable categories of finite groups, to appear in J. Pure & Applied Algebra. pdf
- With Alexandru Chirvasitu and Greg Stevenson, The prime spectra of relative stable module categories, to appear in Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. pdf
- With Kenneth Chan, Modules of constant Jordan type, pullbacks of bundles and generic kernel filtrations, J. Algebra 462 (2016), 253–284. pdf
- Some results on modules of constant Jordan type for elementary abelian p-groups, PhD thesis, University of Aberdeen, 2012. pdf
- On the generic kernel filtration for modules of constant Jordan type, Arch. Math. (Basel) 99 (2012), 305–314. pdf
- Modules of constant Jordan type with two non-projective blocks, J. Algebra 346 (2011), 343–350. pdf
Miscellaneous notes, etc.Please contact me about any errors you may find in the following items.
- A brief note explaining the relationship between interest rate changes and bond prices, if you’re into that sort of thing. June 2018. pdf
- A detailed proof that every presheaf is a colimit of representable functors, just for fun. March 2018. pdf
- A brief note demonstrating that mathematical induction is syntactically equivalent to well ordering, i.e., that the equivalence is purely a relationship between unary and binary predicates in a first order system and not about its interpretation in ZFC. March 2018. pdf
- A note proving that the principle of mathematical induction is not technically equivalent to the well ordering principle in Peano arithmetic. The (apparently usual) counterexample is given addition and multiplication rules that make it a full model for PA – PMI + WOP. February 2018. pdf
- Classification of Finite-Dimensional Simple Lie Algebras over the Complex Numbers. My expository honours thesis at the University of Colorado, submitted in 2007. pdf
- “N-A∞-algebras and their minimal models”, Joint Mathematics Meetings, Atlanta, 4 January 2017.
- “Relative stable categories and their prime ideal spectra”, Joint Mathematics Meetings, Seattle, 8 January 2016.
- “Relative stable categories and their prime ideal spectra”, Algebra Seminar, University of Southern California, 14 September 2015.
- “Techniques for studying modules of constant Jordan type”, Oberwolfach Workshop Cohomology of Finite Groups: Interactions and Applications, 6 May 2015.
- “Modules of constant Jordan type, pullbacks of vector bundles and generic kernel filtrations”, Mathematics Colloquium, Kansas State University, 7 April 2015.
- “Computing vector bundles for modules of constant Jordan type”, AMS Fall Western Sectional Meeting, San Francisco State University, 26 October 2014.
- “Pullbacks of vector bundles for modules of constant Jordan type”, AMS Spring Central Sectional Meeting, Texas Tech University, 13 April 2014.
- “Pullbacks of vector bundles for modules of constant Jordan type”, Algebra Seminar, University of Missouri, Columbia, 17 March 2014.
- “Vector bundles for modules of constant Jordan type”, Seminar on Representation Theory and Algebraic Lie Theory, Universität zu Kiel, 15 May 2013.
- “Modules of constant Jordan type for elementary abelian p-groups”, Conference on Modular Representation Theory of Finite and p-adic Groups, National University of Singapore, 15 April 2013.
- “The generic kernel filtration for modules of constant Jordan type”, BIREP Seminar, Universität Bielefeld, 8 June 2012.
- “Modules of constant Jordan type for elementary abelian p-groups”, Algebraic Transformation Groups workshop, British Mathematical Colloquium, University of Kent, 18 Apr 2012.
- “Restrictions on Jordan types of modules for elementary abelian p-groups”, 27th ARTIN Postgraduate Meeting, University of Glasgow, 18 Mar 2011.
Awards and honors
- Overseas Research Students Awards Scheme (ORSAS), University of Aberdeen, 2008.
- Crisp Fellowship, Phi Beta Kappa Honors Society, Colorado Alpha Chapter, 2009.
- PIMS Summer School and Workshop on Geometric and Topological Aspects of the Representation Theory of Finite Groups, University of British Columbia, 27th July to 5th August, 2016.
- Representation theory and K-theory, a conference in celebration of the 70th birthday of Eric Friedlander, University of Southern California, May 19–20, 2014.
- Conference in memoriam of Dieter Happel, TU Chemnitz, 3rd–4th May 2013.
- Modular Representation Theory of Finite and p-adic Groups, National University of Singapore, 1–26 April 2013.
- Bisets in Algebra and Topology, LAMFA, Université de Picardie Jules Verne, 12–14 September 2012.
- Cohomology and Support in Representation Theory and Related Topics, University of Washington, July 27–August 5, 2012.
- 2012 British Mathematical Colloquium (BMC), University of Kent, 16–19 April 2012.
- Groups 2012, a conference in honour of the 75th birthday of Bernd Fischer, Bielefeld University, March 12–16, 2012.
- Dave Benson’s Groups, Representations and Cohomology Preprint Archive.
- The MAGMA computational algebra system.
- The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences.
- The Mathematics Genealogy Project.
Some marginally interesting links
- A pamphlet about ghost signs in Fort Collins, Colorado. The one with the Coca-Cola bottle was commissioned by my great-grandfather. Another nice photo of it can be seen here.
- I practically grew up in the back seat of one of these boats.
- My favorite painting.
- Carl Sagan, presenter of Cosmos, the greatest television series of all time.
- Steven Wright, a guy who is pretty much on my wavelength.
- Mustafa’s Gemüsekebap, a kebab stand in Berlin. The most entertaining site I’ve seen on the web. Notice how the little hut actually closes after hours!
- You wouldn’t like me when I’m angry.