Modular representation theory and relations to algebraic geometry, triangulated categories and homological algebra.
Department of Mathematics,
815 N Broadway,
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
|Office:||Harder, room 223|
|Email:||sbaland at skidmore dot edu|
Publications and preprints
- With Greg Stevenson, Comparisons between singularity categories and relative stable categories of finite groups, submitted, 2016. pdf
- With Alexandru Chirvasitu and Greg Stevenson, The prime spectra of relative stable module categories, to appear in Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. pdf
- With Kenneth Chan, Modules of constant Jordan type, pullbacks of bundles and generic kernel filtrations, J. Algebra 462 (2016), 253–284. pdf
- Some results on modules of constant Jordan type for elementary abelian p-groups, PhD thesis, University of Aberdeen, 2012. pdf
- On the generic kernel filtration for modules of constant Jordan type, Arch. Math. (Basel) 99 (2012), 305–314. pdf
- Modules of constant Jordan type with two non-projective blocks, J. Algebra 346 (2011), 343–350. pdf
Lecture notes, etc.Please contact me about any errors you may find in the following items.
- Classification of Finite-Dimensional Simple Lie Algebras over the Complex Numbers. My expository honours thesis at the University of Colorado, submitted in 2007. pdf
- “N-A∞-algebras and their minimal models”, Joint Mathematics Meetings, Atlanta, 4 January 2017.
- “Relative stable categories and their prime ideal spectra”, Joint Mathematics Meetings, Seattle, 8 January 2016.
- “Relative stable categories and their prime ideal spectra”, Algebra Seminar, University of Southern California, 14 September 2015.
- “Techniques for studying modules of constant Jordan type”, Oberwolfach Workshop Cohomology of Finite Groups: Interactions and Applications, 6 May 2015.
- “Modules of constant Jordan type, pullbacks of vector bundles and generic kernel filtrations”, Mathematics Colloquium, Kansas State University, 7 April 2015.
- “Computing vector bundles for modules of constant Jordan type”, AMS Fall Western Sectional Meeting, San Francisco State University, 26 October 2014.
- “Pullbacks of vector bundles for modules of constant Jordan type”, AMS Spring Central Sectional Meeting, Texas Tech University, 13 April 2014.
- “Pullbacks of vector bundles for modules of constant Jordan type”, Algebra Seminar, University of Missouri, Columbia, 17 March 2014.
- “Vector bundles for modules of constant Jordan type”, Seminar on Representation Theory and Algebraic Lie Theory, Universität zu Kiel, 15 May 2013.
- “Modules of constant Jordan type for elementary abelian p-groups”, Conference on Modular Representation Theory of Finite and p-adic Groups, National University of Singapore, 15 April 2013.
- “The generic kernel filtration for modules of constant Jordan type”, BIREP Seminar, Universität Bielefeld, 8 June 2012.
- “Modules of constant Jordan type for elementary abelian p-groups”, Algebraic Transformation Groups workshop, British Mathematical Colloquium, University of Kent, 18 Apr 2012.
- “Restrictions on Jordan types of modules for elementary abelian p-groups”, 27th ARTIN Postgraduate Meeting, University of Glasgow, 18 Mar 2011.
Awards and honors
- Overseas Research Students Awards Scheme (ORSAS), University of Aberdeen, 2008.
- Crisp Fellowship, Phi Beta Kappa Honors Society, Colorado Alpha Chapter, 2009.
- PIMS Summer School and Workshop on Geometric and Topological Aspects of the Representation Theory of Finite Groups, University of British Columbia, 27th July to 5th August, 2016.
- Representation theory and K-theory, a conference in celebration of the 70th birthday of Eric Friedlander, University of Southern California, May 19–20, 2014.
- Conference in memoriam of Dieter Happel, TU Chemnitz, 3rd–4th May 2013.
- Modular Representation Theory of Finite and p-adic Groups, National University of Singapore, 1–26 April 2013.
- Bisets in Algebra and Topology, LAMFA, Université de Picardie Jules Verne, 12–14 September 2012.
- Cohomology and Support in Representation Theory and Related Topics, University of Washington, July 27–August 5, 2012.
- 2012 British Mathematical Colloquium (BMC), University of Kent, 16–19 April 2012.
- Groups 2012, a conference in honour of the 75th birthday of Bernd Fischer, Bielefeld University, March 12–16, 2012.
- Dave Benson’s Groups, Representations and Cohomology Preprint Archive.
- The MAGMA computational algebra system.
- The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences.
- The Mathematics Genealogy Project.
Some marginally interesting links
- A pamphlet about ghost signs in Fort Collins, Colorado. The one with the Coca-Cola bottle was commissioned by my great-grandfather. Another nice photo of it can be seen here.
- I practically grew up in the back seat of one of these boats.
- My favorite painting.
- Carl Sagan, presenter of Cosmos, the greatest television series of all time.
- Steven Wright, a guy who is pretty much on my wavelength.
- Mustafa’s Gemüsekebap, a kebab stand in Berlin. The most entertaining site I’ve seen on the web. Notice how the little hut actually closes after hours!
- You wouldn’t like me when I’m angry.